The Department Library of the Reunion Island

Library of the Department of La Reunion

The Building

The Library of the Department of La Reunion is the oldest library in the island. It was originally the Colonial Library, created in 1855 by Governor Hubert Delisle who collated works from the Private Council Library and the Colonial Council Library to form a new collection of 4500 volumes. The Library of the Department of La Reunion has been housed in a colonial-style building in the city centre of Saint-Denis since 1937.

In 2009 the Departmental Library of La Reunion was restored and extended in a contemporary style. Its new wing is a large copper-covered cube and has a 1700 m2 surface area. The public can use 2 reading rooms, a multimedia area, a current affairs area, a conference hall, an exhibition gallery, and two spaces for organized activities. The two gardens are laid out to welcome all readers, offering them a quiet moment of relaxation in the shade.

The Collections

The Library of the Department of La Reunion is today a historical library specializing in the Indian Ocean islands, the Creole world and French colonial history. Since 1969 it has been a legal deposit library and an associate centre of the Bibliothèque nationale de France for whom it collects all printed materials from La Reunion. The result of this history and legal status is that the Departmental Library of La Reunion has exceptionally rich collections of over 100 000 documents.

Historical Collections

Contemporary Collections

Aims

Organised Activities for the Public

Services at a distance

Additional Information

On-site consultation of CINDOC Computerized catalogue.

Dewey classification

The Department Library of the Reunion Island

Contact

Bibliothèque départementale de La Réunion
52, rue Roland Garros
97400 Saint-denis de La Réunion

bdr@cg974.fr
T : 02 62 21 13 96
F : 02 62 21 54 63